Text & Typography
Move all font tags to CSS. The W3C spec for the
<font> tag was deprecated in '96.
- Use grouping and subheadings to break large amounts of data
into smaller units.
- Do not overuse them.
- H1 is an important tag for search bots.
- Use the least amount of different Headers that you can.
- Spec out your headers within your css sheet for control over
- Headers should be left-justified.
- Titles and headings text should NOT be in all caps
- Times new Roman is the easiest text to read.
- 12 point Times new Roman is the fastest text to read.
- 12 point Arial font (anti-alilased and not) is the most preferred.
- 12 point Times New Roman second most preferred.
- Anti-aliased type is more legible if you increase the letter
- As a general rule, don't anti-alias type that is smaller than
- Only specify standard fonts.
- Always specify the equivalent fonts for MAC and PC.
- Always specify alternative fonts
- Always specify either a serif or a sans-sarif alternative.
- Limit the width of lines to about a dozen or so words.
- Limit the height of blocks to para’s of 4 sentences or less.
- Never to be placed on top of loud or busy backgrounds.
- Always have proper contrast between bkg and text.
- Text needs air around it, to breathe.
- Never underline text in web pages
- Structure all text for rapid reading/scanning
- Print documents are too wordy for the web, so convert them.
- Use correct spelling and grammar.
- Make your organization logical
- Make your sequences contiguous.
- Eliminate sprung, disjointed, or awkward sentences
- Eliminate spelling and punctuation errors
- All information should be accurate.
- All information should be complete.
- All information should be appropriate to the purpose of the
Never use anything like these:
- Click here!
- Change these browser settings…
- Open the browser window |--- this wide ---|
- Stop right now and download this other browser
- Best viewed with ...
- Only viewable with ...
- Click here if your browser supports frames
- If you're using a browser that does not auto-refresh Click
- Download this plug-in
- Set up this helper application
- Turn off the underlining on links
- Download this special font
- How to print this page (Don't I just say "Print"?)
- Click here for a tutorial on how to view this site
- You don't have Java? Go away!
- If you lived here, you'd be home now.
- Coming Soon!
Re-read and revise all your text.
- Inrease the clarity.
- Incease the concision.
- Increase the consistency of tone and level of formality
- Increase the coherence.